New 12C Buyer, got a few questions before it's official

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum here and I'm about to pick up a 2012 12C in gray/black wheels, carbon interior+engine cover, steel brakes, parking sensors, Meridian and Nav. I would just like to ask a few questions before I bite the bullet and hand over the dough!

The car right now has ~6,000 miles. My questions are:

1. How much is the Iris panel upgrade? I heard it's around $1,800, which is at cost to McLaren
    2. How much is the power pump upgrade (I think it should be free)
    3. How much are ownership costs per year?
    4. Any major faults or problems that anyone has experienced with their 12Cs yet?
    5. Has anyone had any problems with vandals or other "haters?" I prefer the McLaren because of its supposedly lesser "recognition" and snob factor, in contrast to Italian makes.
    6. How much "attention" does the car realistically draw? I honestly don't care for attention; I'm buying the 12C for its engineering and ride comfort (yes, I'm sounding like an old fart), on top of its performance. I wouldn't mind the occasional dad coming over with his kid to gawk at it, but if it draws a crowd everywhere then it might become a bit annoying.

This car is supposed to be my DD, which is why I'm choosing the gray/relatively subtle color. I will mostly be commuting ~4mi to and back from work daily, with the occasional run to the shops. Of note, I will be living in Chicago starting June, around Lakeview (which is North).

Your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

pwc1911

No replies on this? I'm interested in the same information also.

I rented one for 6 hours today.

I presently own a 2013 Ferrari 458 spider. The car I rented is a 2014 12c coupe although I would be thinking of getting a spider.

My initial observations are it is extremely difficult to see out of the back of this car and that alone would be a deal killer for me on this coupe......can't speak for the spider.

Car shifts nice but does not have the ride or comfort of my 458.

Just a different type of feel....very nice in it's own sort of way but I daily drive my cars and would not get this car as a daily driver over my Ferrari for sure.

My comments are only on this experience of city driving and did not take it to the track.

I felt 6 hours of driving the car would be much better than a short test drive and would get it off my mind whether I wanted to get it or not.

I live in Las Vegas and easy to rent these type of cars first. I did the same with my 458 then went out and bought one.

Overall very nice car though!!!!

This is also interesting that just came out. Love the gearbox in this Mclaren!!

Lamborghini Huracan LP580-2: Here It Is

Lamborghini Huracan LP 580-2, will be unveiled at the 2015 LA Auto Show - YouTube

Car:

2013 Ferrari 458 Spider- Daily Driver
    Last edited by fredhassen; 11-18-2015 at 01:38 AM.

I would use the other mclaren forum. More of us are over there.

As for IRIS upgrade not worth it.

Major faults are a few transmissions but those are random.

As for all the attention questions, this is the wrong car for you. You do not exactly blend in.

12C owner - 1502

I bought a 12C about 4 mos ago, and I completely love it. I upgraded from a 997 TT and this car is in a different league. To answer your questions:

1. How much is the Iris panel upgrade? $4000. I got mine upgraded to IRIS2 for free because my car was under warranty and the IRIS1 screen was flickering.
    2. How much is the power pump upgrade (I think it should be free). Unknown
    3. How much are ownership costs per year? $1800 annual maintenance + tires
    4. Any major faults or problems that anyone has experienced with their 12Cs yet? I had an intake hose come off during some spirited driving and the car wouldn't start. Easy fix.
    5. Has anyone had any problems with vandals or other "haters?" I prefer the McLaren because of its supposedly lesser "recognition" and snob factor, in contrast to Italian makes. No problems with this. I get tons of "head turns", "thumbs ups" and "cool car" comments from people. The general public tends to really like my car. I don't get any negative reactions. A lot of curious people. But comments are always positive.
    6. How much "attention" does the car realistically draw? I honestly don't care for attention; I'm buying the 12C for its engineering and ride comfort (yes, I'm sounding like an old fart), on top of its performance. I wouldn't mind the occasional dad coming over with his kid to gawk at it, but if it draws a crowd everywhere then it might become a bit annoying. See above. It gets a lot of attention. But mine is volcano red and really stands out in the sun. Don't buy a McLaren if you want to be anonymous.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I think ride quality on the freeway in NORMAL mode is excellent. Very comfortable. I drove 2 hours to Long Beach on Saturday from San Diego, and the ride was as comfortable as my Tesla. Then I switched to SPORT for some spirited driving, and I never felt that the car beat me up unlike a 911 GT3.

>>I would use the other mclaren forum. More of us are over there.<<

And "the other forum" is...?

New to McLaren world, and am trying to get educated. Negotiating for a '14 12C Spider currently.